The new liberal conservative coalition Government has agreed on a list of policy pledges on the Environment and climate change.
Here is a summary of some of the pledges that are directly relevant to meeting carbon budgets:
1. The Government will push for the EU to demonstrate leadership in tackling international climate change, including by supporting an increase in the EU emission reduction target to 30% by 2020
2. Seek to increase the target for energy from renewable sources, subject to the advice of the Climate Change Committee
3. Continue public sector investment in carbon capture and storage (CCS) technology for four coal-fired power stations.
4. Create a green investment bank
5. Establish an emissions performance standard that will prevent coal-fired power stations being built unless they are equipped with sufficient carbon capture and storage to meet the emissions performance standard.
6. Cancel the third runway at Heathrow
7. Introduce a floor price for carbon
8. Through the ‘Green Deal’, encourage home energy efficiency improvements paid for by savings from energy bills
9. Reform energy markets to deliver security of supply and investment in low carbon energy
10. Mandate a national recharging network for electric and plug-in hybrid vehicles
The full list of pledges are available at: The Coalition: Programme for Government
If you would like to comment on this post please email [email protected] with the title of the post in the subject line