Senior Analyst – Scottish Climate Change Adaptation Programme
We are looking for a Senior Analyst to develop, oversee and implement a work programme that will deliver an independent assessment of the Scottish Climate Change Adaptation Programme (SCCAP), ready for publication in January 2019. The role will last for up to 9 months.
The successful candidate will support ClimateXChange (CxC), a collaboration of 16 Scottish research institutions, to deliver an updated indicator set to measure trends in exposure and vulnerability to climate change and the uptake of adaptation action in key sectors such as agriculture and forestry, and the built environment. They also will maintain close liaison with the CxC team and the Scottish Government to provide feedback and ensure the final set of indicators are acceptable to the Adaptation Sub-Committee (ASC) and are in line with those used in the ASC’s first assessment of the SCCAP.
Other tasks will include:
- Carrying out additional analysis to fill any identified evidence gaps.
- Interpreting the final CxC indicators and associated data to assess trends in the priority climate risks and opportunities facing Scotland.
- Carrying out a detailed assessment of the progress being made in implementing the policies and proposals underlying each objective in the SCCAP, liaising with the relevant owners of the policies/proposals and building on the annual monitoring and reporting arrangements planned by the Scottish Government.
- Undertaking a review of the implementation of the ASC’s 2016 recommendations for the SCCAP and the extent to which they are being met.
- Working with ASC members individually and collectively to combine, check and refine analysis and conclusions.
- Leading on drafting a report to the Scottish Parliament containing the results and conclusions of the evaluation, together with policy recommendations, to the ASC’s satisfaction.
- Working with the Scottish Government and CxC to arrange a launch event for the report in Scotland, potentially in the Scottish Parliament.
- Maintaining close liaison with the adaptation team and the sponsors in the Scottish Government throughout, providing regular reports on progress and escalating any issues that arise.
The role will largely be based in Edinburgh with frequent travel to London required.
Candidates must also be available to start work as quickly as possible on the project.
The closing date is Monday 26 March 2018.
Please note that, in the interests of fair and open competition, we do not maintain a database of potential candidates. Therefore we do not accept applications on a speculative basis or hold CVs on file to be considered for future vacancies.