This is a joint letter from Baroness Brown, Chair of the Adaptation Committee and Sir John Armitt, Chair of the National Infrastructure Commission to Rt Hon Oliver Dowden MP, Deputy Prime Minister and Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster, and Rt Hon Thérèse Coffey MP, Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs about developing more effective plans to improve the resilience of infrastructure.
2. Key messages
We recommend five steps to close the resilience gap:
- Translate the present high-level objectives into delivery plans, with clear goals and measurable outcomes for resilience.
- Align policymaking for resilient infrastructure with regulatory cycles.
- Give essential duties to Regulators that presently do not have them.
- Strengthen resilience coordination between infrastructure systems to head-off cascading impacts.
- Embed net zero and climate adaptation in infrastructure planning.