This report advises on the level at which Welsh interim carbon targets and Welsh carbon Budgets should be set. It comes in response to a request from the Welsh Government to the Committee for independent advice on these targets.
The Committee’s advice takes into account specific factors relating to the Welsh economy and its sources of emissions.
Recommended interim targets:
- A 2020 target for an emissions reduction of 27% on 1990 levels.
- A 2030 target for an emissions reduction of 45% on 1990 levels.
- A 2040 target for an emissions reduction of 67% on 1990 levels.
Recommended carbon budgets:
- First carbon budget (2016-20). Emissions are limited to an average of 23% below 1990 emissions.
- Second carbon budget (2021-25). Emissions are limited to an average of 33% below 1990 emissions.
Download the report in Welsh: Adeiladu economi carbon isel yng Nghymru – Pennu targedau carbon Cymru
This infographic shows the key messages from the report. Click here to download the infographic in higher resolution. A version of this infographic in Welsh is available below.
Click here to download a higher resolution version.