This is a letter from Lord Deben, Chairman of the Committee on Climate Change, and Baroness Brown, Chair of the CCC’s Adaptation Committee, to the Prime Minister, the Rt Hon Boris Johnson MP. As the Government considers its approach to rebuilding after the COVID-19 crisis, the letter sets out the Committee’s advice as to how effective climate policy can and should play a part in the recovery. Reducing greenhouse gas emissions and adapting to climate change should be integral to the UK’s overall approach, the CCC says.
2. Key recommendations
Broadly, the Committee recommends that the Government prioritises actions according to six principles for a resilient recovery. These are:
- Use climate investments to support the economic recovery and jobs.
- Lead a shift towards positive long-term behaviours.
- Tackle the wider ‘resilience deficit’ on climate change.
- Embed fairness as a core principle.
- Ensure the recovery does not ‘lock-in’ greenhouse gas emissions or increased climate risk.
- Strengthen incentives to reduce emissions when considering fiscal changes.